Economics and Statistics are inter-related subjects. Those studies economics at Graduation and Post Graduation level can specialise in Statistics at research level. Economics as a discipline has immense potential of research and has highly reputed institutes like Delhi School of Economics and Institute of Economic Growth. There are number of premier research institutions / organisations established by the Government in the country to carry out research in the field for official purposes. Independent institutes such as IGIDR, ISEC and CESS have been contributing a lot for the growth of the discipline. Following are some reputed institutes for study and research in Economics, Statistics and some allied subjects like foreign trade, banking and rural development.
Best Institutes for Economics and Statistics:
1. Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR): www.igidr.ac.in.
2. Delhi School of Economics and Political Science, New Delhi
3. Institute of Economic Growth
4. Center for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad
5. Institute for Economic and Social Change, Bangalore
6. Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT)
7. Indian Statistical Institute
8. Indian Statistical Institute, 203, Barrackpore Trunk Road, Kolkata –700108. (Website www.isical.ac.in)
9. Nelson Manickan Road, Aminjikarai, Chennai – 600 029.
10. Indian Statistical Institute, SQC & OR Unit, Chatean D’ Ampa (1st Floor), 110
11. Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi Centre, 7, Near Qutab Hotel, Opp. Katwaria Sarai, New Delhi –110 016.
12. Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore Centre, 8th Mile, Mysore Road, R.V. College Post, Bangalore – 560 059.
13. Indian Statistical Institute, SQC & OR Unit, Street No. 8, Habshiguda, Hyderabad – 500 007.
Following are some specialised institutes for Banking, Foreign Trade and Rural Management:
1. M.Tech in banking: The Institute of Development and Research in Banking Technology(IDRBT), Hyderabad. 2.Institute of Banking Personnel Selection, Paper Box Estate, Mahakali Road, Andheri(E),Mumbai-400093.
2. Foreign Trade: Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, IIFT Bhavan, B-21, Qutub Institutional Area, New Delhi. website: www.iift.edu.
3. Rural Management: 1. Vaikunth Mehta National Institute of Co-operative Management, University Road, Pune – 411 007. 2. Institute of Rural Management, Anand (IRMA)– 388 001, Gujarat.