Software testing is nothing but examining digital products ranging from cameras to mobile phones for bugs and design errors. The profession of software testing has become demanding all over the world with increasing need of testers in all kinds of software companies. Software testers play crucial role in thoroughly scrutinizing any application or design developed by other professionals. Software Testers check for any flaws in design and code of the application.
Most importantly, software testing career is not just for software engineers. Candidates from other streams also can aspire to become a software tester. But generally the companies look for technical qualification. Usually they ask for BE / BTech, BSc (Computer Science) or MCA qualifications. These candidates also have to undergo rigorous training for 3 to 6 months depending on their subject domain.
Non- Engineers also need to get an additional qualification in Computer Applications. There are so many certifications that come handy to the non – engineers. They need strong foundation in databases, software development technology frameworks, computer languages, operating systems and automation techniques. It is estimated that there are more than a lakh software testing professionals are available in India. But demand for more professionals still growing!
At the entry level, you can join as Trainee Software Tester. You can reach to the levels of Associate / Junior software Tester /Junior Trainer; senior software tester / Senior Trainer; Test Manager / Test Architect / Consultant; Senior Test Manager and head of testing based on the experience and performance.
Useful Certifications for Software Testing Career:
1. Certified Software Tester (CSTE)
2. Certified Software Test Manager (CSTM)
3. International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB)
4. Certified Associate in Software Testing (CAST)
Training Institutes for Software Testing:
There are number of training institutes for software testing career aspirants. Institutes are spread across all major cities such as Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Nagpur, Pune, Kolkata, Delhi, Vizag, Noida, Mumbai, Gurgoan etc. Here are some institutes:
1. Stag Software: Bangalore and Chennai (www.stagsoftware.com)
2. I-PAD Technologies, SR Nagar, Hyderabad.
3. Edista Testing Institute. Centers are located in Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai and Pune (www.edistatesting.com)
4. Mind Q Systems, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
5. Pure Trainings: Bangalore and Noida (www.puretrainings.com)
6. JVS infotech , Panjagutta, Hyderabad.
7. Seed Infotech: Pune (www.seedinfotech.com)