Ministry of Human Resources Development, Govt. of India has issued Gazette notification providing 4.5 reservations for minority communities within the OBC quota of 27 percent. With this minority communities such as Muslims, Sikhs, Parsis, Jains, Buddhists etc will get 4.5 percent reservations in educational institutions and government employment opportunities. The gazette will come into force from 1st January 2012.
After this provision, seats in all India level institutions for Minority candidates will be reserved as per the stipulated percentage. The number of seats they are going to get are as follows. The number of seats may increase if the total intake has gone up at any time:
1) IITs (Indian Institutes of Technology): 120 seats
2) IIMs (Indian Institutes of Management)
3) NITs (National Institutions of Technology): 4.5 percent of total quota reserved for OBCs
4) 40 Central Universities: 4.5 percent seats in 27 percent reserved for OBCc
5) National Institute of Design (NID): 4.5 percent within allotted 27 percent seats for OBCs.
The Government of India has allowed educational institutions to implement OBC reservation quota within five years after the notification. This five year term will end by the next year (2012) and all the institutions will have to implement the quota as per the rules of the law.