Certain milestones in school education and teacher education with special reference to English education:
1) NCERT (National Council of Educational Research and Training), a premier institute in the field of school education was established in 1961 by the Government of India.
2) NCERT's principal function is to assist the central and state Government's in the implementation of policies on education and to ensure quality in education and teacher preparation.
3) The NCERT has developed Curriculum Frameworks for School Education (NCFSE) in 1988, 2000 and 2005.
4) The National Curriculum Frame work- 2000 advocated to introduce English from class III. Many states including Andhra pradesh introduced English as one of the subjects from class III.
5) The National Curriculum Frame work- 2005 envisaged child centred education with an attempt to link it with life outside school.
6) Chapter-3 of NCFSE deals with language education in general and English in particular.
7) NCTE (National Council for Teacher Education) was established in 1995 under the National Council for Teacher Education
Act, 1993. The main objective of the NCTE is to achieve planned and coordinated development of the teacher education system.
8) The Government of Andhra Pradesh introduced English medium in Government run schools from class-VI onwards. As per GO MS No.76 (10 - 06 - 2008) English was introduced as the medium of instruction with CBSE syllabus from class-VI in the academic year 2008 - 09 in about 6500 schools. This move is a part of the world Bank Aided Project. These schools are known as SUCCESS schools. SUCCESS- stands for Strengthening and Universalisation of Quality and Access to Secondary Schools.
9) The CBSE syllabus was replaced with State Government syllabus after a resentment from the public and teachers in the year
2010 - 11.
10) English has been introduced as one of the subjects from class-I in the academic year 2011 - 12.
1. The specific aims of teaching English may also be called-
1) principles 2) goals 3) objectives 4) aims
2. Objectives of teaching English as a Second Language will be achieved through-
1) Work book 2) Story book 3) Text book 4) Supplementary material
3. The premier institute in the field of school education- NCERT was established in ....
1) 1961 2) 1962 3) 1966 4) 1995
4. The focus of English language Teaching is ..
1) To pass the examinations 2) To develop functional use of language
3) To get an employment abroad 4) None of these
5. NCFSE-2000 advocated to introduce English from ....
1) I Class 2) III Class 3) V Class 4) VI Class
6. CBSE syllabus was replaced with State Government syllabus in Government run 'SUCCESS' schools in A.P in the Academic
1) 2008 - 09 2) 2010 - 11 3) 2009 - 10 4) 2007 - 08
7. 'SUCCESS' stands for .....
1) Successful Universalising of Secondary Schools 2) Successful Utilisation of Quality and Access in Secondary Schools
3) Strengthening and Universalisation of Quality and Access to Secondary Schools.
4) Strengthening and Uplifting of Quality and Access in Secondary Schools
8. Chapter-3 of NCFSE deals with ....
1) Pre service teacher education 2) In service teacher education
3) Language education with special reference to English 4) Quality education
9. A pre- requisite for language learning is ....
1) Curriculum 2) Updated teaching methods
3) learner's interest 4) input rich communicational environment
Answers: 1) 3 2) 3 3) 1 4) 2 5) 3 6) 2 7) 3 8) 3 9)4