India has more than 1500 Business Schools as of now. Barring the top 50 to 75 colleges, most of the MBA colleges have nothing to offer in terms of skills required to meet the demands of job market. Students must do their bit of work to catch up with the industry needs and getting placed in a job. Here are some tips one should concentrate on to make himself more employable.
1. Brush up your language skills. Focus on polishing your English and also learn a second language. Its not bad idea to join a finishing school to develop your personality, body language, inter-personal and social interaction skills.
2. You should have corporate awareness of various issues. Try to understand what the business is all about and how you can contribute to the growth of any organization.
3. Concentrate on developing leadership skills. Your employer would like to know how effectively you can work in a team and able to manage a group of people.
4. Keep updating and refreshing your knowledge through peer learning. Participate in all kinds of group activities like group case studies, simulations, industry interaction programs and inter- college level academic and extra curricular competitions.
5. Search for internships while pursuing your course. You can work with an NGO to interact with people at grassroots level. It helps in the psychological and emotional development of a management graduate and hones people management skills.
6. You must be careful at the stage of selecting a Business School itself. You can depend on business school ranking to some extent. But don’t blindly follow them while choosing an institute.
7. Select a job / placement irrespective of the designation and salary. Starting career as a sales trainee should not worry you.
8. Do not treat your management program as just another degree you are going to get after two years. Think of it as a skill enhancing program. Concentrate on soft skills while pursuing management.
9. Practical exposure is essential to succeed in Management education. Hence choose an industry - related projects for internship.
10. Technical knowledge along with good inter personal skills are the key qualities companies look for in a potential candidate. Focus on improving these from the commencement of the course.