Biotechnology is an emerging field in India. It is receiving high degree of attention from both Government and corporate sectors in terms of providing training and conducting research. The central government has been very keen on establishing specialized research institutes for Biotechnology. It has established various scholarships and fellowship schemes under the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and encouraging women candidates also to pursue research in biotechnology.
As Genetics is closely related field of biotechnology, some institutes related to Genetic Research is also provided here. Pursuing Research courses like Ph.D. and Post Doctoral in these subjects always rewarding as there is huge dearth of well trained professionals in these fields. Students those interested in these subjects should opt for higher courses rather than searching for meager jobs with Graduation and Post Graduation.
Following are some highly reputed institutes providing research opportunities in the subjects of Biotechnology and Genetics. Admission to these institutes will be preferably through CSIR- UGC NET JRF, ICMR JRF, DBT JRF qualifications. All the CSIR, DBT and other centrally funded organizations provide good amount of fellowships, assistantships and offer projects for those interested in research. Here is the list of some of those institutes:
1. The Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
2. Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderbad.
3. Biochemical Engineering Research and Process Development Centre, IMTECH, Chandigarh.
4. National Facility for Collection of Blue Green Algae (BGA) Collection at IARI, New Delhi.
5. Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, Tamil Nadu.
6. National Facility for Plant Tissue Culture Repository at NBPGR, Pusa, New Delhi.
7. National Laboratory Animal House Facilities at Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow.
8. National Facility for Animal Cell and Tissue Culture, Pune.
9. National Facility for Microbial Type Culture Collection (MTCC).
10. Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh.
11. National Institute of Nutrition (NIN), Hyderabad.
12. Centre for DNA Finger Printing and Diagnostics (CDFD), Hyderabad.
13. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
14. National Facility for Marine Cyanobacteria at Bharatidasan University, Tiruchirappalli.
15. National Institute of Immunology (NII), New Delhi.