India has world class research institutes for various subjects in the discipline of Science. Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is the chief of most of the scientific research activity in India. There are more than 30 premier research organizations working under the purview of CSIR. Apart from CSIR, Indian Council of Medical Research and DRDL supervise research activities in the institutions those comes under their purview.
In order to promote research orientation, the Govt. of India is generously offering various fellowships and scholarships to students who join in research courses at national level research organizations. UGC, CSIR, ICMR, DBT and other organizations offer fellowship schemes to students and research scholars of various science disciplines. The Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences and National Board of Higher Mathematics promote research activities in universities and other research institutions.
CSIR - UGC NET is the prestigious exam for these fellowships. Here are the Success Tips for CSIR - UGC NET Exam.
Following are some of the top research institutions in India. Candidates with excellent academic record, high level research orientation and commitment to excel in academics shall try to join in these institutes.
1. Indian Institute of Science (Bangalore)
2. National Physical Laboratory (New Delhi)
3. Defence Research Development Organisation (New Delhi)
4. Institute of Physics (Bhubhaneswar)
5. Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Mumbai)
6. Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (Pune)
7. National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (Pune)
8. Inter-University Consortium for DAE Facilities (Indore) Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (Bangalore)
9. Institute of Mathematical Sciences (Chennai)
10. Centre for Advanced Technology (Indore)
11. Indian Spare Research Organisation- (1) Physical Research Laboratory (Ahmedabad); and (2) Space Physics Laboratory (Thiruvananthapuram)
12. Mehta Research Institute of Mathematics and Mathematical Physics (Allahabad)
13. Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (Mumbai)
14. Physical Research Laboratory (Ahmedabad)
15. Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (Kolkata) S N Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences (Kolkata)
16. Raman Research Institute (Bangalore)
17. Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (Kalpakkam, Tamil Nadu)
18. Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (Hyderabad).
19. Indian Institute of Astrophysics (Bangalore)
20. Institute of Plasma Research (Gandhinagar)