SSC Public Examinations - General Sciences (NS) Model Paper
General Science (Biology) Paper-II
Time : 2 1/2 Hrs. PART - A and B Max. Marks: 50
1. Answer the questions under part - A on a separate answer book.
2. Write the answers to the questions under part - B on the question paper itself and attach it to the
answer book of part - A.
Time: 2 Hours PART-A Marks:35
SECTION - I (4 × 1 = 4)
Note: 1) Answer any FOUR questions from the following. 2) Each question carries ONE mark.
1. What is Apical dominance?
2. How trachea is prevented from collapsing?
3. What is a mixed gland? Give an example.
4. Why there is more pressure in arteries than in veins.
5. What are 'gyri' and 'sulci'? What is the advantage of these structures?
6. What is blood transfusion?
SECTION - II (5 × 2 = 10)
Note: 1) Answer any FIVE questions, choosing at least TWO from each Grop A and B.
2) Each question carries TWO marks.
Group - A
7. What is 'Heart Attack'?
8. What is an electron acceptor? Give some examples.
9. What are the differences between a dendrite and and axon?
10. What are the functions of cytokinins?
Group - B
11. Define Photosynthesis. Write an equation for Photosynthesis showing all the requirements and the
12. Write an account on diabetes mellitus.
13. Write short notes on sinus venosus.
14. What are respiratory substrates? give examples.
SECTION - III 4 × 4 = 16
Note: 1) Answer any FOUR questions, choosing at least TWO from each group A and B.
2) Each question carries FOUR marks.
Group - A
15. Write about Tracheal system of respiration in cockroach.
16. Describe the different blood groups in man.
17. What is the importance of pituitary gland in the body? Mention the hormones and their functions of this
18. What are auxins? How do they affect plant growth.
Group - B
19. How can you prove that carbon dioxide is essential for Photosynthesis.
20. Describe the structure of cerebrum.
21. What are the differences betwen RBC and WBC?
22. Bring out the differences between right ventricle and left venrticle.
SECTION - IV 1 × 5 = 5
Note: 1) Answer any ONE question. 2) This question carries FIVE marks.
23. Draw a neat labelled diagram of transverse section of a leaf.
24. Draw the diagram showing reflex arc and label the parts.
Time: 30 Minutes PART - B Marks: 15
Note: 1. Answer ALL the questions. 2. Each question carries 1/2 mark.
3. Marks will not be awarded in case of any over- writing, re-writing or erased answers.
I. Answer the following by choosing correct answer from the four answers given (A, B, C, D) write the
Capital letter of the correct answer in brackets 10 × 1 / 2 = 5
1. In plants, exchange of gases take place through
A) Stomata B) Palisade tissue C) Spongy tissue D) Mid rib
2. Karl Landsteiner discovered
A) Red Blood Corpuscles B) Blood vessels C) Blood groups D) Proteins in blood
3. The rate of respiration per minute in a new born baby
A) 18 times B) 32 times C) 26 times D) 16 times
4. In diseases like Polio, the cells that get destroyed by virus, are
A) Monocytes B) Erythrocytes C) Motor neurons D) sensory neurons
5. Conversion of Glycogen to Glucose is stimulated by
A) Insulin B) cortisol C) Glucagon D) Progesterone
6. Dicotyledonous weeds are destroyed by a chemical called
A) IAA B) 2, 4 -D C) ABA D) NAA
7. The box like structure made up of bones which give protection to brain
A) Thoracic cavity B) Abdominal cavity C) Pericardial cavity D) Cranium
8. Plants are green because they
A) reflect green light B) refract green light C) absorb green light D) do not absorb UV light
9. The substance that prevents clotting of blood in blood vessels is
A) Haemoglobin B) heparin C) thyroxin D) pepsin
10. Operculum Occurs in
A) bony fishes B) frog C) cockroach D) Cartilagenous fishes
II. Fill in the blanks with suitable answers. 10 × 1/ 2 = 5
11. Our standing in attention when we hear our National Anthem is a ...........
12. The first stage of respiration is called ..........
13. In women .......... play a major role in respiratory movements.
14. Normal blood pressure of human is ........
15. People with AB blood group are called ........
16. Fall of leaves is promoted by a hormone called ...........
17. The granules present in the cyton are called ......... granules
18. The cranial nerve that controlls the heart beat is called ......... nerve.
19. The structural and functional unit of a reflex action is called ..........
20. The hormone that helps in the formation of placenta is called ...........
III. Match the following by writing the letter of the correct answer in the brackets,
Choosing from the group B. 5 × 1 / 2 = 2 1/ 2
i) Group - A Group - B
21. Crab ( ) A. Light reactions
22. Sphygmomanometer ( ) B. Starch Test
23. Mitochondria ( ) C. Fluid tissue
24. Melvin Calvin ( ) D. Blue colour blood
25. Iodine ( ) E. Blood pressure
F. Dark reactions
G. Power houses
ii. Group - A Group - B
26. A three chambered heart ( ) A) Mammals
27. Sinuses ( ) B) 12 Pairs of nerves
28. Spinal nerves ( ) C) 'O' group
29. Blood group without ( ) D) Frog AB antigens
30. A four chambered heart ( ) E) 31 pairs of nerves
G) 'AB' group
1-A; 2-C; 3-B; 4-C; 5-C; 6-B; 7-D; 8-A; 9-B;
10-A; 11. Conditioned reflex 12. Glycolysis
13. Ribs 14. 120/80 15. Universal recipients
16. Abscisic acid (ABA) 17. Nissle 18. Vagus
19. Reflex arc 20. Progesterone 21-D;
22-E; 23-G; 24-F; 25-B; 26-D; 27-F; 28-E; 29-C; 30-A.