The United Kingdom has been a favorite destination of the students across the world for so many reasons. First of all, UK is a cosmopolitan place to live and also the Mecca of education with excellent standards and all round quality of institutions. UK has been the most sought after place after USA for Indian students. There are more than 3000 higher education institutions in UK offering different types of courses. Apart from various advantages, one thing that discourages you to choose UK for your higher education is the fee structure and living expenses. Yes, tuition fee in UK universities ranges from £ 6900 to £ 17000 depending up on nature of the course. Living expenses also cost you much if you are an international student. One can assume that living expenses including accommodation, books, travel, food, pocket money etc. will be around £ 6,000 to £ 8,000 per academic year.
You must need financial support from some Trust or Funding Organization or Agency to meet the high expenses of UK education. Though UK Universities allow working part time along with education, that amount may not cater your requirements. There are renowned funding agencies that offer fellowships and scholarships to meritorious candidates to study in UK. Following are some of them:
1. University of Oxford: Rhodes Scholarships, Felix Scholarships, British Chevening Scholarships and Gregory Kulkes Scholarship in Law. You can find more info of these scholarships from www.britishcouncil.org.
2. University of Cambridge: JRW Alexander Studentship, Manmohan Singh Undergraduate Scholarship, Commonwealth Scholarships, Gates Cambridge Scholarships and Nehru Trust for Cambridge University.
3. London School of Economics and Political Science: Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowship Plan for Commonwealth Countries, Rotary Foundation Scholarship, UNESCO Scholarships, Ford Foundation. Commonwealth fellowships are offered on the basis of academic track record and areas of specialization selected by the candidate.
4. University of Manchester: EPS International Excellence Undergraduate Scholarships, British Chevening Scholarships, Department Studentships.
5. Bristol University: Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund, Ford Foundation, Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarships. Ford Foundation Fellowships are offered for students from disadvantaged sections of society from developing countries.