IITs have been conducting JAM to get admissions to different M.Sc, Joint M.Sc.- PhD etc.. The aim is to promote the science by these courses among the student community. The courses on offer at IITs are highly qualitative. The PG and Ph.D. levels programs in respective disciplines can be compared best in the world. Interdisciplinary approach is the main component of the curricula of the courses that helps students to utilize scientific knowledge for practical applications.
Most of the successful students in JAM are from West Bengal since they emphasize on science education with scientific temper. AP students prefer IIT JEE rather than JAM which is not a good sign. Around 50 percent of IIT JEE from Andhra Pradesh and more than 45 percent JAM students from West Bengal. That is why most of the scientists in different R and D Institutes are from West Bengal contributing invaluable services to the country. This is a suggestion to the students who could not secure good rank in Engineering Entrances like IIT JEE, AIEEE and EAMCET and other competitive exams should go for B.Sc and aim for JAM. That gives not only good scientific position but also social status.
Following are the Joint M.Sc.- Ph.D. being offered at IIT Kharagpur to which admissions shall be made on the basis of JAM. The students will have an option to leave the course after two years. They shall receive the M.Sc. degree. Minimum qualifications for admissions into PG courses:
1. Joint M.Sc. - Ph.D. in Geology: Should have Graduation with Geology as one of the subjects. You need any 2 subjects from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biological Science. You must have studies Mathematics at (10+2) level.
2. M.Sc. Chemistry (Joint M.Sc. - Ph.D. in Chemistry): Bachelor's degree with Chemistry as a subject and Mathematics at (10+2) level.
3. Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D. in Mathematics: Graduation with Maths as a subject.
4. Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D. in Physics: Graduation with Physics as a subject for at least four semesters or two years. You must have studied Mathematics for at least one year.
5. Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D. in Geophysics : Bachelor's Degree with any 2 subjects from Physics, Mathematics and Geology.
Candidates should also satisfy specific eligibility conditions prescribed by IITs. You can get more details from http://jam.iitkgp.ac.in/index.html