Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) is an Entrance Test for the purpose of conducting admissions to Ph.D. and M.Sc./ M.Tech.- Ph.D. Programmes in Physics / Theoretical Computer Science in highly reputed scientific research institutions in India. At present there are 23 research organisations considering JEST scores for short listing candidates for research admissions. Following are the JEST Participating Institutions for Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc., M.Tech - Ph.D. courses. You can obtain more details of these institutions and courses from official websites of respective organisations. Here is the list of institutions:
1. Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital (ARIES): Astronomy and Astrophysics, and Atmospheric Physics.
2. Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), Mumbai, a Deemed University.
3. Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI), Allahabad: Available specialisations are Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics.
4. Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam: Specialisations are Materials Science, Radiation Physics Reactor Physics, Condensed Matter (Experimental and Theoretical), Sensors and Applications, Radiation Damage and Accelerator - based Research, Science and Technology of Nanomaterials, Computational Materials Science and Atmospheric Science.
5. Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA), Bangalore: Specialisations are Astronomy and Astrophysics, Astronomical Instrumentation, Optics, and Atomic Physics.
6. Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore: Focussed research areas are Condensed Matter Physics (Experiments and Theory), Atomic and Optical Physics (Experimental), Biocrystallography and Bio-informatics, Astronomy and Astrophysics (Theoretical) and High Energy Physics (Theoretical).
7. Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali (IISER- Mohali): Main research areas are Quantum Theory, Quantum Information Processing, NMR-Methodology, Non-linear Dynamics, Optics, String Theory, Statistical Mechanics, Quantum Thermodynamics, Ultrafast Physics, and Low Temperature Mesoscopic Physics.
8. Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune (IISER - Pune): Specialised focus on Nanosciences, Field Theory, Non-linear Dynamics, Theoretical Particle Physics, Scanning Probe Techniques, Condensed Matter Physics, Complex Systems and Networks, Quantum Information Processing, Radio Astrophysics, Solar and Plasma Physics, Atomic Physics and Quantum Optics, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Energy Studies and Semiconductor Physics and Devices.
9. Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, (IISER - Thiruvananthapuram): Magnetic and Superconducting materials, Nanoscience and Energy materials, Photonics, Soft Condensed Matter, Semiconductor Physics and Devices, Surface Sciences and Nano-scale Plasmonics, Terahertz and Ultrafast Spectroscopy; Cosmology, Classical and Quantum Gravity, Gravitational Wave Physics, Quantum Information Theory, Quantum Field Theory, and Statistical Physics.
10. The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai (IMSc): Specialised areas are Theoretical Physics, and Theoretical Computer Science.
11. Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar (IOP): Focussed areas are Physics (Condensed Matter, Nuclear and High Energy Physics) and Accelerator-based Research.
12. Institute for Plasma Research (IPR), Gandhinagar: Physics (Experimental and Theoretical).
13. Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune: Physics, Astronomy and Astrophysics.
14. Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore: Specialisationas are Experimental and Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics, Statistical Mechanics and Materials Science.
15. National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA-TIFR), Pune: Specialisations are Astronomy and Astrophysics.
16. National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar: Theoretical High Energy Physics and Lattice QCD, Condensed Matter Physics (Theory and Experiment), Experimental High Energy Physics and Optics and Metamaterials.
17. Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad: Solar Physics, Theoretical Physics, Astronomy and Astrophysics, Space and Atmospheric Sciences, Planetary Science and Geo-Sciences.
18. Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), Indore: Research areas are Lasers and their Applications, Cold Atom Physics, Condensed Matter Physics (Superconductivity and Magnetism, Crystals and Thin Films), Laser Plasma Interaction, Nanomaterials and Applications, Beam Physics, Non-linear and Ultrafast Optical Studies, and Free Electron Laser.
19. Raman Research Institute (RRI), Bangalore: Specialisations are Astronomy and Astrophysics,Soft Condensed Matter Physics (Liquid Crystals, Physics in Biology), Light and Matter Physics, and Theoretical Physics.
20. Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP), Kolkata: Important research areas are Condensed Matter Physics (Theory and Experiments), Mathematical Physics, High Energy Physics (Theory and Experiments), Astroparticle Physics, Nuclear Physics (Theory and Experiments), String Theory, Quantum Gravity, and Materials Sciences (Surface Science and Plasma Physics).
21. Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences (SNBNCBS), Kolkata: Main research themes are Astrophysics and Cosmology, Condensed Matter Physics and Material Science, Quantum Optics and Quantum Information, High Energy Physics and Quantum Field Theory, Chemical and Biological Physics, Mathematical Physics, Nanosciences, Statistical Physics and Complex Systems.
22. UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research (UGC - DAE CSR), Indore: Important research areas are Surfaces, Optical and Electron Spectroscopic Studies Using Synchrotron and Laboratory Sources; Thin Films and Nanomaterials, Physics at Low Temperatures and High Magnetic Fields, Interfaces, X-ray, Electrical, Magnetic and Thermal Properties of Condensed Matter; Nuclear Technique Based Condensed Matter Physics-Positron Annihilation Spectroscopy, Mossbauer Spectroscopy, Condensed Matter studies using Magnetic Neutron Diffraction, Experimental Nuclear Physics, Gamma Ray Spectroscopy of Nuclear High Spin States, and Nuclear Reactions.
23. Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre (VECC), Kolkata: Specialisations are Nuclear Physics (Experiments and Theory), Accelerator Physics, Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science, Relativistic Heavy Ion Collisions (Experiments, Theory, QCD and QGP), and Physics of Neutrinos (Experiments).