School of International Studies of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (www.jnuonline.in) is one of the oldest schools of the University. The school is highly reputed and pioneer in the field of international studies. The school offer Post Graduate (PG) and Research Programmes (M.Phil and Ph.D.) in the broad and specific areas of international studies. Admission to all the programmes will be through entrance examinations and interviews. Following are details of centers for international studies:
1. Centre for Canadian, US and Latin American Studies: Fields of studies are Canadian Studies, United States Studies and Latin American Studies.
2. Centre for European Studies
3. Centre for International Legal Studies
4. Centre for International Trade and Development
5. Centre for East Asian Studies: Specific fields of studies are Japanese Studies, Chinese Studies and Korean Studies.
6. Centre for International Politics, Organization and Disarmament Studies: Fields of studies are International Politics, International Organization, Diplomacy and Disarmament and Political Geography.
7. Centre for Russian and Central Asian Studies
8. Centre for South, Central, South-East Asian and South-West Pacific Studies: Fields of studies are South Asian Studies, Southeast Asian and Southwest Pacific Studies and Central Asian Studies.
9. Centre for African Studies
10. Centre for West Asian Studies
11. The Group of Political Theory and Comparative Politics (International Relations). This group offer only direct admission to Ph D. programme in Political thought or political theory, Comparative Politics or Indian Politics.
JNU offer M.A., M.Phil and Ph.D programmes in International Studies in most of the above mentioned fields and centers. There will be separate entrance examination for each field. The School of International Studies at JNU also publishes a quarterly journal called ‘International Studies’. This journal was founded in July 1959 and gained excellent reputation world wide as an authoritative Indian academic journal in the field of international studies. Following are details of Programmes offered by JNU School of International Studies:
1) M.Phil. and Ph.D.: Selected candidates have to go through two-semester programme of course work. Those successful in the course work and dissertation in the next two semesters will be awarded the degree of Master of Philosophy. Minimum duration of the Ph.D. Programme is three year. Candidates can submit their Ph.D. thesis after the completion of four semesters after registration for the Ph.D. Programme. The center also offer Direct Ph.D. admission to the deserved candidates.
2) M.A. Politics (with specialization in International Relations): This is a two year Master’s Programme in Politics with special focus on International Relations. All the centers of the School will participate in this programme. The main areas include in the course are International Affairs, Political Theory, Comparative Politics, Area Politics and
3) M.A. Economics (with specialization in World Economy): The course is offered by the Centre for International Trade and Development. The programme emphasises on the emerging global issues like trade, natural resources, technology, environment, currency and finance. The programme prepares the candidates for good careers in research, professional economists for the public sector, non-government and the corporate sectors. More details of centers can be obtained from www.jnu.ac.in .