Joint Entrance Screening Test - 2011 (JEST 2011) will be conducted by the Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai. JEST is intended to admit students to Ph.D. Programmes in Physics / Theoretical Computer Science in top level scientific research institutions of the country. JEST is a common qualifying test to screen the candidates. Based on JEST and other criteria followed at the institution level, most of the admitted candidates will get research fellowships from the respective institutes. Questions in the JEST 2011 will be at the standard of Graduation and Post Graduation in Physics and Theoretical Computers subjects. Candidates can view jest2011.imsc.res.in for online application and other information.
Students with graduation in Maths and Physics are eligible for most of the programmes in many institutions. All the institutes have their own eligibility criteria based on the nature of the programme and specilisation offered. Those completing their graduation in 2011 also eligible.
1. For Ph.D. Programme in Physics, applicants should have M.Sc. in Physics or M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in related disciplines. Those with M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA. Graduates with a B.E. or B.Tech. will also be considered at many of the institutes. First year students of M.Sc. and final year candidates of B.Sc. also can apply for pre selection courses in some institutions.
2. For Ph.D. in Theoretical Computer Science, you should have M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / M.C.A. in Computer Science OR related disciplines. You must have interest and aptitude in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
3. Integrated M.Sc./M.Tech. – Ph.D. Programmes: These are offered at HRI, IISER Pune, NCRA-TIFR and SNBNCBS, Kolkata. Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree with B.Sc. / B.E. / B. Tech. in specialisations/ branches mentioned in the notification.
Candidates are requested to apply online through http://jest2011.imsc.res.in. Those having difficulty in Online method can apply through offline method. You can obtain applications from 'Registrar, The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, CIT Campus, Tharamani, Chennai-600113, Tamil Nadu'.
JEST-2011 exam will be conducted at Ahmedabad, Patna, Raipur, Allahabad, Bangalore, Aligarh, Bardhaman, Nagpur, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Roorkee, Chennai, Madurai, Bhubaneswar, Delhi,Hyderabad, Pune, Indore, Goa, Guwahati, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Silchar, Nainital, Sambalpur, Thiruvananthapuram, Siliguri, Udaipur and Visakhapatnam.
1. Starting of online application process: 1st December 2010.
2. Last date to reach request for printed application forms: 20th December 2010.
3. Last date for receipt of online / offline applications: 3rd January 2011.
4. JEST - 2011 (written test): 20th February 2011.