After IITs, National Institutes of Technology (NITs) are most sought after colleges for engineering education in India. NITs offer advanced specialistaions in M.Tech and ME courses. GATE scores are the main criteria for admission to NITs. Some NITs and IIITs also admit students into M.Tech without GATE scores. Following are GATE 2011 Cut Off ranks / last ranks for various NITs in the country. These are only for the awareness of the candidates. 2012 cut offs may be higher / lower depending upon the standard and difficulty level of the GATE question papers and qualifying marks. You can estimate expected cut offs for 2012 based on these trends. IIT websites announce GATE results and facilitate downloading of score cards.
GATE 2011 Cut-Off for M.Tech/M.E. Admissions in NITs:
1) NIT Jaipur: Chemical - 382, Computers (CSE) - 611, Environmental Engineering - 466, Transportation Engineering - 450, ECE - VLSI - 632 and ECE - 601.
2) NIT Bhopal: Computers (CSE) - 611, IS - 575, VLSI - 654, Nano Technology - 601, ECE - 599.
3) DCE (Delhi College of Engineering): Computers (CSE) - 587, Information Technology (IT) - 477, ECE - 581.
4) NIT Allahabad: Computers (CSE) - 697, IS - 675, SE - 680, Control Engineering - 620, Production Engineering - 612, DE - 659, VLSI - 644, CAD - 540, GIS - 556, GEO - 352 and Structural Engineering - 354.
IITs require much more good ranks as all the GATE qualified candidates prefer to join in IITs in their first preference. IIT Bombay and IIT Delhi are in much demand for the past few years. Candidates need to excellent ranks and scores in GATE to secure M.Tech / ME seat in these institutes. Candidates should wait for the completion of counseling rounds to check their chances. They should also not that many of the candidates have appeared for GATE 2012 considering the eligibility requirements for PSU jobs. Many of them may not join M.Tech. So, wait and watch is the best policy to get the things done.
GATE 2011 Cut Offs for various Branches:
1) Electrical: 26.08 (Gen) - 17.39 (SC / ST / PD) - 23.47 (OBC)
2) Electronics and Communication: 26.11 (Gen) - 17.41 (SC / ST / PD) - 23.50 (OBC)
3) Computer Science and IT: 25.00 (Gen) - 16.67 (SC / ST / PD) - 22.50 (OBC)
4) Mechanical: 30.81 (Gen) - 20.54 (SC / ST / PD) - 27.73 (OBC)
5) Civil Engineering: 25.00 (Gen) - 16.67 (SC / ST / PD) - 22.50 (OBC)
6) Instrumentation: 25.00 (Gen) - 16.67 (SC / ST / PD) - 22.50 (OBC)