There is growing awareness among all sections of people about environmental protection. Governments all over the world including India are spending a lot of the amount from their exchequer for training and research on environment related issues. Environmental issues can be studied as a Science and Engineering disciplines. Environmental Engineering is turning out to be an interesting one with top notch institutes like Indian Institute of Technology are offering programmes at Bachelors and Masters levels. IITs at Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur and Madras are in the fore front of imparting high quality training in environmental education.
India’s premier Scientific Organisation CSIR has established ENVIS centers in it’s laboratories across the country to carry out specialized research in Environmental Science. The core research in the subject has been regarded as crucial for achieving sustainable development, which is a buzzword of public policies across the countries. The need for Environmental education from the levels of pre-primary and primary stages also has been emphasized by various educational bodies.
Following are the courses available in Environmental Sciences and Engineering:
Several universities and colleges are offering Undergraduate and Post-graduate courses in Scientific and Engineering aspects of the discipline.
1. B.S.C (Environmental Science): For 10+2 students.
2. M.S.C (Environmental Science): For B.S.C Environmental Science/ Botany/ Zoology, Physics or Chemistry.
3. PG Diploma in Environment Management and Environmental Science: For Post Graduates of all disciplines
4. B.E / B.Tech Environmental Engineering: For 10+ 2 MPC candidates.
5. M.Tech ./ M.E Environmental Engineering: For B.E / B.Tech. Environmental / Civil Engineering candidates.
6. M.Tech / M.E. in Energy and Environment Management: For those qualified in B.E / B.Tech. Environmental / Civil Engineering.
Following are some of the universities / colleges/ institutes offering courses in environmental science and engineering:
1. Jamia Millia Islamia, JamiaNagar, New Delhi- 110025
2. Kerala University, Gandhi Nagar, PO Kottayam, Kerala.
3. Government Engineering College, Ujjain (M.P)
4. National Environmental Engineering Research Institute, Nagpur
5. Department of Civil Engineering, Delhi College of Engineering, New Delhi- 110042
6. All Saints College, Trivandrum, Kerala.
7. Maulana Azad College of Technology, Bhopal- 462007
8. Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi- 110012
9. School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi
10. Jawaharlal Nehru University, NewDelhi- 110067
11. Pondicherry University, Pondicherry
12. Christ College, Iringalakkuda, Kerala
13. Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Delhi, NewDelhi- 110016
14. St. John's College, Anchal
15. Shri G S Institute of Technology and Science, Indore, Madhya Pradesh.