Bioinformatics is an emerging discipline which combines knowledge of Technology, Molecular Biology and Mathematics. It is basically research oriented subject. You can opt for Bioinformatics from any science background at graduation level. There are courses at the levels of Diploma, Masters and Advanced Diploma. You may not find good opportunities with just a diploma or PG degree. Distance mode of education is also not advisable in this field as the subject is lab and practical intensive. Though dedicated institutes are not much available for Bioinformatics in India, there are good research organizations which are offering specialized Advanced Diploma and Masters Programs. Following are some of them:
1. Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB), Bangalore.
2. Bioinformatics Centre at the Jawaharlal Nehru University: JNU is offering an Advanced (Graduate) Diploma in Bioinformatics.
3. Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai: It is the first university in the country to initiate a Bioinformatics Programme. It is offering an advanced diploma in Bioinformatics through its School of Biotechnology.
4. University of Pune, Maharashtra: This offers an Advanced Diploma in Bioinformatics through its Bioinformatics Centre.
5. Bioinformatics Institute of India, Noida, Uttar Pradesh: BII is offering a correspondence course on Industry Program in Bioinformatics, Biomedical Informatics, Clinical Trial and Clinical Research, Pharma Regulatory Affairs, Biotechnology. This is one year course. Institute is also offering various online Programs through www.biionline.org
6. Mar Athanasios College for Advanced Studies (MACFAST), Thiruvalla, Kerala: It is offering advanced courses in Biosciences. Phone :0464- 2733534, 2603332, 2703874;
7. For the last 9 years, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIR) Hyderabad is conducting six months program on Advanced Course in Bioinformatics jointly with CDAC and JNTU. For details, see www.iictindia.org