Biotechnology and Genetics are inter-related subjects to some extent. They offer highly specialised understanding of the subject at the micro level. These subjects are offered at Graduation and Post Graduation levels in Tamilnadu and Kerala. Among these, Tamilnadu has good colleges in terms of number and reputation of the courses. Madurai Kamaraj University and Madras University are the in list of top rung institutes in the country for these courses. Though it does not belong to Tamilnadu and Kerala, Department of Biotechnology, Banaras Hindu University is highly reputed in Biotech and Bioinformatics courses. You can find the details of these courses here: www.bhu.ac.in
Some of the colleges listed below are offering Engineering courses also in Genetics and Biotechnology (B.Tech. in Genetic Engineering OR B.Tech. Biotechnology). Admission to Engineering courses in these subjects will be through Common Entrance Tests conducted by respective states. Here is the list of some colleges:
1. AC College of Engineering and Technology, Karaikudi.
2. College of Engineering, Thirunelveli.
3. Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai-600025, Email: email@example.com Website: www.annaunlv.edu/biotech/bteh.ntml.
4. Madurai Kamaraj University.www.biotechmku.org.
5. GCT, Coimbatore (offered both as Regular and Self-supporting Programme).
6. College of Engineering, Salem.
7. Alagappa College of Technology, Guindy, Chennai
8. Bharathiar University, www.bharati.ernet.in.
Following are some colleges and institutes offering Biotech and Genetics related courses in Kerala:
1. Mar Athanasius College, Kothamangalam.
2. Christhu Jyothi College of Management& Technology, Kurishumood P.O., Chethipuzha, Changanacherry.
3. Mar Agasthinose College, Ramapuram, Kottayam.
4. M A College for Advanced Studies, Thiruvalla.
5. Aquinas College, Edakochi,
6. U C College, Aluva.
Admissions to the courses in most of the above colleges will be through ranks achieved in common entrance tests conducted by respective universities for which they are affiliated. Details of these entrances are available with official websites of universities and education departments of the government.