Geology has been gaining ground in India as a specialized subject / discipline thanks to its rich natural resources. Geology is an important branch of science. It basically deals with the study and exploration of the earth and its substances. It also involves study of related areas like environment, history of earth, minerals and so on. The discipline has been expanding with so many branches and specialized areas are coming up like structural geology, planetology, geomorphology, mineralogy, geological engineering etc. A geologist is nothing but who specialized in study of earth and its composition. Geology is going to be in great demand in the near future as Government and number of corporate Oil and Gas companies are expanding their activities massively in order to find natural resources.
Geology has entered into education at the graduation level itself. You can specialize in Geology as a main subject in your B.Sc. Geology courses are offered at M.A. and M.Sc. levels in various universities and colleges. Andhra University and Aligarh Muslim University, BHU and IITs are very renowned institutes for geology education in India. Those specialized in Geology can grab job opportunities in industries / companies like Oil and Natural Gas Corporation, Central Ground Water Board, GSI- Geological Survey of India, Mineral Exploration Authority, Hindustan Zinc, Coal India and many other organizations. There are corporate companies like Reliance, Cairn India, JSW energy etc. to absorb talented students trained in Geology. The defense sector also use services of geologists. Following is the list of some well known universities / institutions offering Geology courses in India.
1. Pondicherry University, Pondicherry-605 014.
2. Aligarh Muslim University, Allgarh, Uttar Pradesh-202 002.
3. University of Delhi, New Delhi -110 007.
4. Dr. Harishingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar-3.
5. Annamalai University, Annamalainagar-608 025, Tamilnadu
6. Osmania University, Hyderabad-500 007, Andhra Pradesh.
7. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi-221 005, Uttar Pradesh.
8. University of Pune, Pune-411 007, Maharashtra.
9. Kurukshetra University, Kurushetra, Haryana -136 119.
10. Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kochi, Kerala.
11. Gulbarga University, Gulbarga - 585 106, Karnataka
12. M.Sc. Marine Geology at Goa University, Taleigao Plateau, Goa- 403 203.
13. Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar-143 005, Punjab.
14. University of Madras, Chennai-600 005, Tamilnadu.
15. Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur-721 302, West Bengal.
16. Nagpur University, Nagpur-440 010, Maharashtra.
17. Anna University, Guindy, Chennai-600 025, Tamilnadu.
18. Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad-826 004.
19. Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam- 530 003, Andhra Pradesh.
20. University of Roorkee, Roorkee-247 667.
21. Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapallu-24, Tamilnadu.
22. Jamia Millia Islamia, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi-25.
23. MS University of Baroda, Vadodara-390 002, Gujarat.
24. Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur-10, Uttar Pradesh.
25. University of Mysore, Mysore-570 005, Karnataka.
26. Karnataka University, Dharwad-580 003, Karnataka.
27. Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar-751 004, Orissa.
Most of these universities admit candidates based on national level entrance tests or their own entrance examinations. Candidates should have studied Geology at Graduation level to sought or pursue Post Graduation in Geology. Research in Geology is always highly rewarding with excellent opportunities in Public and Corporate sector with good pay packages. The universities usually release admission notifications during December – March every year.