Marine Engineering is an exciting course for the young and dynamic students. It basically studies live stock of the oceans, formation, growth and evolution of marine subjects. One advantage of this discipline is, you do not need any formal academic background in the specific subject called ‘Marine Engineering’ You need not even required to go for additional training in related subjects. Basic understanding biology is sufficient to enter in this field.
There are a good number of institutes in South India for this discipline. Most of the institutions conduct their own entrance examination for admission into M.Sc. courses. For admission into Marine Engineering, you need to qualify in the common entrance test conducted at national or state level depending up one your choice of the institution. Qualifying in IITJEE or AIEEE will be helpful in getting a seat in a reputed institute such as IITs, NITs and some private institutes. Duration of the course is 4 years. All the Marine Science and Engineering related courses need approval from Directorate of General Shipping, Government of India. Below is the list of some reputed institutes for Marine Engineering course:
1. Marine Engineering Research Institute, P-19, Taratolla Rd, Kolkata, West Bengal.
2. Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Hay Bunder Road, Mumbai, Maharashtra
3. International Marine Communication Centre, 134/3 R.H. Road, near Luz Corner, Mylapore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
4. Indian Marine College, P.S. No. 1262, Kachiguda Station Road, Hyderabad 500027, Andhra Pradesh.
5. Directorate General of Shipping, Jahaj Bhavan, Ballard Estate, Walchand Hirachand Marg, Mumbai 400001, Maharashtra.
6. IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Powai, Mumbai 400076, Maharashtra.
7. Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Advanced Maritime Studies & Research, Hay bunder, Seweri, Mumbai - 400033, Maharashtra.
8. International Institute of Maritime Science through IIT-JEE sector-8, Haldia Township -721607, West Bengal.
9. College Of Engineering (Andhra University), Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
10. T.S. Chanakya, Karaus, New Mumbai, Maharashtra.