SECTION - A
Very short answer type questions.
Note: Answer ALL questions. 10 × 2 = 20
1. What are the coordination numbers of Na+ and Cs+ in NaCl and CsCl?
2. Find RMS velocity of CO2 gas at 27 oC.
3. Give reasons for the higher boiling point of H2O than HF?
4. Calculate the Oxidation number of Manganese in the following: (a) KMnO4 and (b) MnSO4
5. A white ancient painting has turned black over the years. What do you do to restore its original colour?
6. What is 'mortar'? Give its composition and use.
7. How do acid rains occur? Give one effect of it.
8. Why is the temperature of the earth increasing?
9. Explain the detection of (a) Nitrogen and (b) Halogens in an organic compound.
SECTION - B
Short answer type questions.
Note: Answer any SIX questions. 6 × 4 = 24
11. Deduce (a) Boyle's Law and (b) Graham's Law from Kinetic gas euqation.
12. Explain Valency Shell Electron Pair Repulsion (VSEPR) theory?
13. An Organic Compound on analysis was found to contain 16.27% Carbon, 0.67% Hydrogen and 72.2% Chlorine. The vapour density of the compound is equal to 73.75. Calculate the empirical formula and
molecular formula of the compound.
14. Write any two oxidation and two reduction reactions of Hydrogen Peroxide.
15. Explain the structures of XeO3 and XeO4
16. A mixture of a hydride of boron and ammonia are passed through a hot tube to get a compound A. Give the formula, name and structure of it.
17. Graphite is a good conductor of electricity, while diamond is not. Explain.
18. Write a note on the importance of Mg+2 and Ca+2 ions in biology.
SECTION - C
Long answer type questions.
Note: Answer any TWO questions 2 × 8 = 16
19. Explain the significance and purpose of four quantum numbers.
20. Define first and second ionization potentials. Why is second ionization potential greater than the first ionization potential?
Explain four factors affecting ionization potential values of elements.
21. Describe two methods of preparation of ethylene. Give equation for reactions of ethylene with the following.
a) Ozone, b) Hypo halous acid, c) Cold and dilute alkaline KMnO4 d) Heated with O2 at high pressure.