Skip to content

9 Tips to Use Vacation for Engineering Education

Every year hundreds of graduates are passing out from Professional colleges. Few students are settling well in corporate sectors and reputed organizations. But every student should think about bright carrier and future, early settlement in the life and to lead happy life. To succeed in any course Knowledge, Approach, Time and Planning are very important. Most of the students opted for engineering stream might have got the seats of their choice in different colleges affiliated to various universities.

According to academic calendar of various universities the 1st year class work starts from middle of September and ends by April or May 2010. Excluding vacation the class work will be completed nearly in 7 to 8 months of time. Weather it is annual or semester pattern the academic schedule will be tight and students didn’t get any time to relax. Normally most of the colleges having vacation period around 20 to 30 days only. Students should utilize vacation period properly. Following are useful tips to use your vacation more meaningfully.

1. The fundamental aspect to any student is time plan. It may be divided into macro and micro & short and long term planning. How to take up the 1st year engineering course up to April comes under Macro planning and day to day learning and reading comes under micro planning which is already finished

2. The utilization of vacation time very important. Spend few hours daily for identifying the topics in different text books which are thought in the classroom. Read once or twice until you understand the topic in the text book which you can follow better. Cover complete syllabus which is incorporate in the curriculum.

3. In the 1st year 75% subjects are related to science and humanities and remaining 25% belongs to common engineering subjects. In most of the universities 90% of subjects are common to all branches one or two papers may be different for Bio-technology, Chemical Engg and Circuit branches. Understanding of the basic subjects like Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English in the 1st year may not be difficult. Because they are continuation to the intermediate syllabus. Engineering subjects, like drawing, Engg. Mathematics. Electronic device and circuit and computer programming are knew to the students and appears difficult.

4. Identify difficult subjects and spend more time to get the grip in that subject and plan accordingly. Practice an old question papers which guide the students properly and increases the confidence level

5. One aspect of the education is gaining good knowledge, the second thing is how to attempt the examination and get more marks. In most of universities, the internal marks carry 30% to 40 % weight age. Internal marks will be awarded by the performance of the assignments and midterm examinations to be conducted in the college. Every mark is having full weight age. Internal exams already competed before vacation. External exams conducted by University carry 60% to 70% weight age of marks which plays major role in the overall percentage and benefit on the long run.

6. After completion of the 2ND year, student can get some idea about basic concepts in their corresponding braches. With that knowledge he can opted for internship and can training new technologies. The purpose of the internship is to provide opportunities for students to apply concepts from core and concentration courses, work with professionals to gain practical experience in a designated setting and at the same time also can get valuable job skills

7. After completion of the 3rd year take the proper decision for long term planning and choose the suitable field. If the student already taken the decision it is well and good, otherwise take decision at least now. Options will be either going to higher education or search for a job. If the student opted for higher education like M.Tech, M.S or management study, be aware of GATE, GRE, TOFEL, CAT competitive examinations. Concentrate in the topics embedded in these examinations. Without disturbing the regular curriculum.

8. Use vacation period to collect the material and information about these examinations. If necessary brush up the concepts by taking coaching from reputed organizations for GATE , GRE, CAT exams.

9. To get a job after graduation focus on the opportunities of campus placements provided by TCS, INFOSYS, WIPRO, CMC, VIRTUSA etc and also prepare for IES, IAS,GROUP-1 and other competitive examination like ISRO, DRDO, BEL, BHEL, NTPC, VSP, BSNL etc.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *