Following are questions from the lesson - Cultural Heritage of India - Indian Freedom Movement for 10th Class Social Studies subject.
2 Marks Questions
Q. What is meant by Safety Valve Theory?
A. Safety Valve Theory:
During the end of 19th Century the British Official A.O. Hume thought of evolving a safety device to growing discontentment
among Indian National Leaders. He encouraged the Indian leaders to start a National Level Organization to convey the grievances to the government. It was shaped in the form of Indian National Congress.
Hume aimed at prevent the mass agitation in future with the smaller agitation led by congress. In this connection Gopalakrishna Gokhale
pointed out "If Hume wanted to use congress as safety valve, the early congress leaders hoped to use him as a lightening conductor."
Q. Write a short note on South Indian Temples.
A. South Indian Temples:
South India is famous for many historical temples.
The Pallavas, Cholas, Chalukyas, Vijayanagara rulers, Hoyasalas etc built beautiful temples and gopuras at different places.
Pallava Narasimhavarman I built the Mahabalipuram rock cut temples and Pancha Pandava rathas.
The most glorious, the Brihadeeswara temple at Tanjore was built by Raja Raja Chola.
Hoyasaleswara Temple at Halebid was the contribution of
Hoyasalas. Rajendra Chola built Gangaikonda Cholapuram.
The magnificent temples at Hampi- Vijayanagara namely
Hazara Ramaswamy and Vittala Swamy, Virupaksha and Krishna Swamy temples were the contributions of Sri Krishna Deva Raya.
Objective Type Questions:
I. Fill in the blanks.
1) ______ was the builder of Buland Darwaja (Akbar)
2) ______ was the great astronomer of Gupta times (Varahamihira)
3) ______ was the founder of Moghal Empire (Babur)
4) Taj Mahal was built by _____ (Shah Jahan)
5) Rama Krishna Mission was founded by _______ (Swamy Vivekananda).
6) The 1857 Revolt began at ______ (Meerut)
7) Ajanta caves are of ______ period (Guptas')
8) The Battle of Plassey took place in ______ ad (1757)
9) ______ was the great master of Indian Medicine (Charaka)
10) The British Governor ______ was successful in abolishing the
social evil Sati (Lord William Bentinck)
11) Muslim League was founded in ______ (1906 AD)
12) ______ was the leader of Indian National Army (Subhash Chandra Bose)
13) Gandhiji conducted the Salt Satyagraha at ______ (Dandi)
14) The Home Rule MOvement was started by ______ (Annie Besant)
15) ______ was the leader of Moderates (Gopala Krishna Gokhale)
II. Chose the correct answer
1. The First President of Indian National Congress
A) A.O. Hume B) Dadabhai Naoroji
C) Surendranath Benerjee D) W.C. Benerjee
2. Annie Besant belonged to
A) England B) U.S.A.
C) U.S.S.R. D) Ireland
3. Sisir Kumar Ghosh was the Editor of
A) Amrita Bazar B) The Hindu
C) The Herald D) Maratha
4. Indian National Congress was founded in
A) 1919 B) 1909 C) 1865 D) 1885
5. The sculpture that existed in Kanishka times
A) Madhura Art B) Gandhara Art
C) Amaravati Art D) Hoyasala Art
6. Minto Morle Reforms were made in the year
A) 1909 B) 1919 C) 1929 D) 1935
7. Indian Constitution was adopted in the year
A) 1948 B) 1949 C) 1950 D) 1956
ANSWERS: 1)D 2)D 3)A 4)D 5)B 6)A 7)B.